Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Is Your Love Tank Empty by Bo Sanchez




As many of you know, I work as a medical representative and I spend hours waiting on doctors everyday. With my recent idle time, I was able to finish reading another book, Is Your Love Tank Empty by Bo Sanchez. I could not help but share some of its key points that are so valuable yet so simple, that I thought of writing this blog post.

May you find these life lessons meaningful and be able to apply them everyday.

"Here is the problem: Life has become so complicated for many people, the win is no longer obvious. Life has become so discombobulated, it is almost impossible to define the win."

"Love is the win in life. In every area!"

"It is not how big your house is, or how new your car is, or how expensive your family vacation is. Your win is in your relationships."

If asked, I believe our kids will choose to be with us every single time. Let me share a personal story. I work in Pampanga while my kids stay in Tarlac. There are days when I sleep in Pampanga because I have to cover doctors late in the evening.

One time, before going home to Tarlac, I asked my daughter what she wanted for pasalubong. She answered, "3 pieces of Jollibee Tuna Pie, Mommy." I told her that it might take a while at the drive thru if I order three pieces. (Truth is, this was just my excuse. I knew she won't be able to eat all three. She gets easily satisfied).

This was her reply, "Cge Mommy, isa na lang para hindi ka na matagal maghintay at maaga ka makauwi." (Okay Mommy, just buy me one so you wouldn't have to wait longer and you will be home earlier.)

Again, given a choice, children would always choose to be with their parents. Moving on...

"But sadly, for many people, Church is like sacramental gas stations. Once they get their tank filled up, they go off their own way. The win in church life? It's all about relationships."

"God wants you to love Him not because you're afraid He'll throw you to hell if you don't obey the rules. God wants you to love Him because He loved you first (1 John 4:19)."

"Here is the reality: Being needy and being angry are the wrong ways of filling up your love tank. They will never work."

"Where does this desire to dominate another person come from? It comes from an empty love tank. It comes from inner woundedness. Remember: Only weak people want to dominate others. Strong people don't need to."

"Shouting at home is only permitted if there's a fire." (Yes, implementing this now).

"I believe that the most common sickness of relationships is fixitities. What is that? When you believe that your happiness will depend on fixing the other person's behaviour."

"God's job is to fix people. Your job is to love people."

"If you want to have a happy relationship, you have to already be a happy person apart from the relationship. If you want to have a satisfied relationship, you have to already be a satisfied person apart from the relationship. If you want to have a strong relationship, you have to already be a strong person apart from the relationship. There is no other way."

"Seek you happiness, satisfaction and strength from God."

"If you depend on other people's love, you end up settling for the cheap imitation, the fake version, the pirated copy of God's love. And then you'll complain why the love you get from others is choppy. Unclear. Pixelized. And you'll get frustrated."

"If you want a grace-filled relationship: Control yourself, submit to others."

"God still wants you to honor your parents simply because they're your parents. Honor them even when it's difficult to honor them."

And lastly...

"God will bless people in front of you for a purpose. What purpose? To train your heart to trust in His goodness even when it's not obvious."

P.S. If you find this post helpful, please click SHARE buttons below.

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...