Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Three Options In Life







Late last night, I was talking with my husband. I was telling him that I've been feeling odd for the past three days -- I was burping more often than usual, I always feel the need to burp, I feel bloated, and I have been constipated. Being a medical doctor, he told me to have an X-ray ASAP. With the sense of urgency in his tone, he sounded worried. And being the woman that I am, who has undergone two cesarian sections and an exploratory laparotomy, I began to think. Although the situation that I may be in may not be major, but the what ifs crossed my mind.


What if I die too soon?
 
And on the contrary, what if I live too long?


I want to live for as long as I could -- go places, support and encourage my kids as they grow up, take care of grandchildren, and grow old with my dear husband -- but I know that God can call me home anytime. With this in mind, I immediately organized my receipts for reimbursement and liquidation at work. I also filled up another insurance/investment policy, and reviewed my other issued insurance policies.

Last night, this is what I realized. There are three options in life: 1. Enjoy now, sacrifice later; 2. Sacrifice now, enjoy later; and 3. Enjoy now, enjoy later. I'm choosing the third option.

 
Enjoy now, Enjoy later
 
 
 
At the start of 2014, I told myself I will be frugal this year. I will not travel (although it is one of my favourite things to do) if not for free. I work in sales and we are rewarded with incentive trips, so this is possible. I will save as much as I could so I could invest it all for the future.
 
But then I realized, there is more to life than investing for the future. I must also invest in the present. With this, I am not referring to latest gadgets or trendy clothes. But deeper, and more meaningful than that -- which is time for myself, time for my family and time for others.

In 2014, I failed to keep my word when I said that I will not travel. I went to Bohol in June, and went back in October for the same reason -- volunteer work. I joined World Vision's Volunteer Caravan in Visayas TWICE. And I must say, it was my most meaningful expense that year.

With my fellow volunteers, we helped in building houses (read: masonry work) for the earthquake-stricken residents in Maribojoc and visited schools teaching the kids about health and hygiene. When asked about their experiences during the earthquake, one child shared that he lost his mother that day. As tragic as it is, strong faith in God and hope for better things to come was evident in his eyes. He could still smile inspite of what had happened.

Right there and then I realized that I was truly blessed. And I told myself that the least I can do was to share these blessings even with people who can never repay me.

This is one fulfilling way of enjoying today -- giving more of yourself in the service of others -- and it has been very rewarding. 
 

Final Word

 
We spend so much time and energy at work to receive that monthly pay check. We get into business for additional income. We learn how to grow our money and make it work for us. We aim in getting out of the rat race and become financially free. And then we ask ourselves, what for?

My answer? To earn as much as I can so that I can give as much as I can, today and in the future.

Be very blessed!


Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...