Tuesday, June 12, 2018

My Journey to Being a Full Time Insular Life Financial Advisor



I am Joan Veronica Trojillo.


For 12 years, I was employed with the #1 pharmaceutical company in the country today as a Medical Representative. 


Recently, May 25, 2018 to be exact, was the effectivity of my resignation giving up my fixed income, the company car with free gas and maintenance, free phone plan with no data cap, free rice ration, meal allowance, outside home base allowance, profit sharing, bonuses and other benefits like group term insurance, HMO, medical and dental reimbursements, conferences held at high end hotels and incentive trips abroad. 


I gave up ALL of that to become a Full Time Insular Life Financial Advisor.
Crazy, right?


My friend even said, "Hindi ko maintindihan sa'yo bakit ka nagre-resign sa trabaho mo." I gave him my reasons and at the end of our conversation he said, "You best know what's best." To my friend and mentor, if you are reading this, THANK YOU. Although we both know that you just said that because we choose not to argue, but one day I will SHOW you why.


Flashback to 2013



When I began educating myself financially, my friend's wife who is with Insular Life asked me, "What happens to your stocks investments in case something happens to you? A VUL is the only investment with insurance."


I then emailed COL Financial, my online stockbroker, regarding this question. Here is a link to COL's reply >>> I Asked COL, "What If Account Holder Dies?"


Their reply changed my whole perspective about insurance and investments making me get my first VUL in 2014, and become a part time Insular Life Financial Advisor.. To fully understand what made the shift in my strategy, here is another link from my past post >>> BTID and VUL from the Point of View of Someone Who Does Both


Reason #1. As I Help Educate More People Financially, I Discovered My Purpose in Life






With the birth of this blog, Financial Planning For Pinoys, I was reaching to more people thanking me for the learnings from the blog. Almost everyday, a former colleague, a Mom from my kids' school, or someone I do not know personally, would message me saying that my posts have inspired them. Honestly, with these messages, I am inspired to continue doing what I love doing the most.


I also feel that sense of fulfillment every time I provide solutions to every person's need like:


 - Income for your loved ones in case of your sudden demise through Income Protection

 - Money in case income stops due to critical illness through Critical Illness Coverage

 - Sufficient funds when you are no longer at work through helping you build your Retirement Fund

 - Education Funds to prepare your children for better opportunities

 - And, Estate Tax settlement for liquidity


After every meeting, I know that I have made an impact with their lives. I also love it knowing that they have full trust in me with their financial decisions, and value the kind of work that I do. 


My Gastro friend said, "Thank you, ang dami kong natutunan" when he decided to prepare for his retirement.


The wife of my husband's colleague said, "Thank you! Ikaw lang ang nakapag-convince sa kanya na kumuha ng insurance."


These messages, and many others, fill my heart with so much joy that I cannot even comprehend. Through spreading financial literacy, I was serving God and He made it clear to me that this is my purpose in life.



Reason #2. Twenty Four Hours Didn't Seem to be Enough






For people I know personally, I used to schedule meetings with them during weekends. This was my only available time then because I was still employed. I felt guilty when they would say, "Just meet me whenever you are available." I would tell myself, "What if something happens to them before I free my schedule and they have no insurance coverage yet?" Partly, that would be my fault.


Scheduling meetings with people I do not personally know from my page and blog was another problem. Of course, I wanted to reach to as many people as possible.


But because I also needed to make time for my family, I decided to give my weekends to them and to God. Logically, I realized that it is pointless to work so hard and say that I am doing this for my kids' future when I cannot even be here for them in the present.


And because of this, I would meet my friends after work instead. Imagine that exhaustion of driving to BGC on a Friday night after working in Tarlac. Or meeting a client in Pampanga after covering in Pangasinan. 


Although I was accomplishing so much with my time, I felt like I cannot go on like this everyday, or it will take its toll on my health.


I had to make a choice between staying in my comfort zone or leaping into my courage zone;
Choosing between loving what I do and doing what I love.


I chose the latter.


Reason #3. My Goal is to Create a Life I Don't Need a Vacation From.







Don't pick a job with great vacation time. Pick one that doesn't need escaping from.


Believe me, as of March this year, I have already consumed all of my vacation leaves while employed. Most of which were spent on personal development in preparation for the career I choose to take. 


Today, as I write this post, is a non-working holiday. For many, they spend this day for rest and leisure. But not for me. I woke up at 6am, began blogging, and preparing proposals for tomorrow's client call. This is definitely the kind of life that I do not need escaping from. 


On Sunday nights, I plan my week ahead based on my own schedule. Each day, I wake up full of energy and enthusiasm to do what I love and what I believe I do best.


And as St. Iraneus said, "The glory of God is man fully alive." And this for me, is being fully alive, all for God's glory.



Final Note



When I told my husband months ago that I wanted to quit my job, I gave him the assurance that I will not be a financial burden to him; that if I was able to succeed as a medical representative achieving my quota year after year for the past 12 years, I can also succeed in this noble profession doing what I love. I thank God for giving me a supportive husband.







As of June 1, 2018, I am affiliated with Synergia Insurance Agency for Insular Life. As Steve Jobs said, "You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust the dots will somehow connect in your future."


Being with Insular Life since 2013, when my friend's wife asked me about my stocks investment, that was the first dot in my career as a Financial Advisor. 


And then I became qualified for the Financial Advisors Program of Insular Life in July 2016. This is the second dot, because here is where I met one of my mentors and now Agency Leader.


In October 2017, was the third dot, during my Time Value of Money class in Registered Financial Planning (RFP), wherein I met the fascilitator, and who happened to be the Chief Learning Officer of Insular Life at that time.


I am now on my fourth dot. I do not know what the future holds, but I believe that the best is still yet to come. 


Be very blessed!



P.S. Do you want to consider a career as a Licensed Financial Advisor and help us spread financial literacy? Visit Synergia Insurance Agency, Inc.  

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were h...