Wednesday, February 28, 2018

How Much Are You Willing to Give to Make Your Dreams Real





In October 2017, I began doing the ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting because I was overweight then. Loving desserts my entire life, saying no to sweets was really a challenge.


After six weeks of consistency and discipline, I was able to shed 5 kgs, achieving my target weight.


But that was just the beginning. For me, it was not just a short term diet, but a long term lifestyle change. This is because I was not only overweight then, but my sugar and cholesterol levels were also elevated, so I really needed to do something about it.


With this, I learned to exercise as well. There were days when I would find myself waking up at 5am to run, or rush to Tarlac from work at Pampanga for yoga classes. I was blessed with a yoga teacher who was very patient with me since I have always lived a sedentary lifestyle.


I was sweating my stress away, I was strengthening my core, I was improving my balance -- and I was loving every bit of it! 


My keto coach even added that I find a sport I love for me to be able to build muscles after losing that fat. Honestly, I have this dream of having a flat tummy when I reach 36. As of this writing, that is merely four months from today.


I Tried Wakeboarding and Instantly Fell In Love With It




 

I get bored easily. This is the reason why I enjoy doing a lot of new things, going to different places, and the people I talk with are so diverse.


Recently, I visited Pradera Wake Park in Lubao. The staff were accommodating. The place was inviting. It was finding calm in the chaos. I knew right there and then that I will keep coming back.


I was lucky enough to meet the Operations Manager at the beginner's lake and he was the first person to teach me how to wake. And because I didn't know how to swim either, I had a quick swimming lessons from him, too. And then he endorsed me to five operators, three of which were on training that day.


Each time I fell, an operator will be swimming his way towards me to help me get on the side and even carry my board for me, although I insisted that he doesn't have to. Then another operator will be waiting for me at the end of the lake and teach me the waterstart. If I fall at any point, another operator will instruct me to grab the cable and they will pull me up again. I literally felt like a VIP! 


And because it was my first time, I fell flat on my face countless of times, and even drank lake water! The operators were very accommodating and even told me that I am not going home without learning how it is done. After one hour, I was able to make one turn, with a couple of stops in between, and I was already very happy with it.


For two days, my arms, legs and tummy were in pain. Driving a stick shift for work was torture. But I knew that this was a small sacrifice towards my dream.


After a week, I went back. This time, the operators were just giving me instructions and never got into the water to assist me in any way. Somehow, I was learning on my own. After another hour, I was able to make a full turn. The operators even commented that my swimming has improved. They even said that I can try it in the pro lake next time. I jokingly replied that we'll get there eventually. I was very flattered.



For someone who can't swim, and who has bad balance (I can't ride a bike either), I felt proud of myself for such an achievement.



I Was Bruised and Scarred -- And It Was A-Okay!


I'm not sure exactly how I got these bruises but I am definite they were from that wakeboarding experience. 

I showed them to my nine-year old daughter, Gaby, and she said, "Mommy, gusto mo yan eh." (Mommy, you wanted that.)

No, I didn't really want the scars and the bruises, but they are part of the process.





I told her that if we want something so badly, we need to go through whatever it takes to achieve that. Physical pain will not even stop me. It will not be easy, but it will be worth it. 

And I never felt prouder of my bruised, scarred and callused feet.







On My Fourth Visit, I Can Almost Stand...


Because of my busy schedule at work and other stuff, I only have one hour for wakeboarding at Pradera. Admittedly, because I love the sun and the wave so much, I can only wish that I can stay longer.

I posted this photo below on my Facebook wall, and my friend who is an expert wakeboarder commended that I can already stand. Well, almost. I told him that I am not stopping until I can confidently ride in the pro lake. Hopefully, soon.

As one of the operators said, no one began as an expert. And if the others could do it, I think I can, too. 



Okay, My Wakeboarding Story is Just an Intro. 


This is what I actually want to tell you.

February is near its end. In a few days, it will be March already. Do you remember those New Year's Goals you had a couple of months ago?

Have you done something towards achieving those goals?

Or are you dilly-dallying just because 2018 is still 10 months before it ends?


Let Me Share My Goals With You


This is my short term goal. When I first stepped at Pradera during the first week of February, I set a goal for myself. And that is to be able to do it at the Pro Lake by June 2017. 

And this is my long term goal. When I began learning about financials and started investing in 2012, my goal was to be able to quit my job to pursue my passion and my purpose when I reach 40. I wanted to be a healthy, wealthy and happy retiree at that age. (Retired from a day job, that is.)

Create a Plan for Your Goals


For both my short term and long term goals, the strategy is the same.

Know where you are. That is Point A
Know where you want to be. That is Point B.
Figure out a way to get from Point A to Point B.
And as one of my RFP mentors said, "That is not rocket science."


For wakeboarding, I plan to be on the lake as often as my schedule allows me, to make time for it, at least an hour every week.


For my early retirement, the plan is to invest as much as I can, as early as I can. Investing is that bridge that will make my dreams real.

Get Mentors


Get specific mentors for a specific field.

I have a mentor for yoga.
I have a mentor for my ketogenic diet.
I have a mentor for wakeboarding.

I have a mentor for my direct stock market investment.
I have a mentor for my indirect stock market investment.

Never mix and match. If you do, that will be a perfect recipe for disaster.


Be Willing to Sacrifice.


As the photo above strongly states, "Everyone wants to be successful until they see what it actually takes."

 
This is very true.


I could've stopped wakeboarding when my muscles hurt, or when my feet got bruised, or when my hands became callused. But I didn't. Saying no to pain is like saying no to success. And in this case, I am never saying no.


For my goal of retiring early, I made sacrifices, too, to be able to invest as much as I could. When I saw my latest ITR, I can tell in an instant where my money went -- 32% went to the government, 30% went to my mom as my share for the household expenses, and 68% went to investments and insurance. You may ask where did I get money to spend on myself, well, I lived on investment income and another income source from pursuing my passion. Any excess from these are re-invested again. If many lives on the cycle of earning and spending, I was living the cycle of earning and investing.


I was literally living way below my means, but without any feeling of deprivation nor guilt. Besides, I learned to have very simple wants. Two days in La Union gives me the same joy as travelling in Asia -- but at a much cheaper cost. I teach the same to my kids. At a young age, they know what I meant when I tell them to buy something that is "value for money."

 
I gave up on idle time, too. I rarely watch TV. I would rather be reading a book, or writing a blog, or staying in touch with a friend through social media, or searching for a unicorn cookie recipe on Pinterest for my kids.

 

Learning Never Stops


I began learning about money and how it works through investing in 2012. Until today, I am still in the process of unlearning, and learning new things. I share most of them in this blog.

 
And during these years, I lost a lot of time and a lot of money -- but I have no regrets. I am the kind of investor I am today, with the portfolio that I have now, because of these learnings.


As I tell my friends, you will learn along the way.


Everyone wants to earn in the stock market, but not everyone is willing to learn. Very often, someone will message me about the stock market. I will give them specific instructions of how and where to begin, and tell them to message me again after a week when they have done it. Unfortunately, although as I have expected it, very few will message me back.

 
But because TIME is our greatest ally when it comes to investing, I have this feeling of regret for them. For those who are reading this post, please bear in mind that nothing is more expensive than a missed opportunity.

 
I was able to experience this kind of regret first hand when my husband and I were offered to invest in hospital shares almost three years ago. That time, shares were sold at Php100/share and at 12 months to pay installment. Because of excuses we told ourselves, we just brushed off that offer.


A year later, a doctor friend told us about the same hospital shares, and we decided to invest. This time, shares were sold at Php165/share and at 6 months to pay installment. That was our missed opportunity, at a more expensive price. To date, shares are sold at Php400/share. Our money could have earned more if we began investing earlier.

  
And then there are those people who begin, and then stops along the way when they do not see the results they were expecting. When you invest, you always think long term. And by long term, it is not five nor ten years; but twenty years at least. This is what my mentor from last week's RFP class said. In the stock market, the long term investor do not make money in the buying and the selling. We make money in the waiting.



And Begin With the End in Mind



In June, I see myself wakeboarding on the Pro lake of Pradera.
And I am closer to this because of practicing week after week, after week.


In 2022, before I blow the candles on my 40th Birthday, I see myself pursuing my passion and living for my purpose.
And I can achieve this through investing payday after payday.


Sound investing is boring. When I wanted excitement, I go wakeboarding.


This Post is NOT Just About Me


Ironically, this post is about you.
Being fearless.
Being limitless.
Being so determined.
In achieving your dreams.
No matter how impossible they may seem.


One Last Note



While waiting for coverage today, an ex-medical representative who is now an insurance agent from Company S blatantly said that as an employee, it is impossible to send your child to medical school. He said that you need to earn so much more to be able to do that.


Weird enough, he claims to be a "financial advisor" and yet he does not know how investing can turn that "impossible" to "possible."


I told him I disagree, because it is not about how much you earn, but how much you save and invest.


I work as a rank and file. And modesty aside, I can send my kids to medical school or law school or whichever school they want to because I began investing for their future fund since 2013.


And by the time they enter college, they will be staying at a condo unit in the university belt which we were able to get at a pre-selling price. My share in this investment comes from my salary.


Half of the hospital shares under my husband's name are also from my salary as an employee.


And almost every month, I receive passive income from three other investments.


If the norm says it's impossible, challenge the norm. Because your progress will come from that deviation.


Wherever your Point A may be right now, I pray that you get to Point B.

Be very blessed!

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were h...