Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Very Simple Reason Why I Invest




My main reason is stated in the quote above.
 

As Mr. Aya Laraya of Pesos and Sense said, "When you invest, you are buying a day that you do not have to work." 

 
Last January 2016, my daughter represented her school in a Math competition here in Tarlac City. When I asked her what she wanted as a prize, she said, "Gusto ko lang umuwi ka mamaya Mommy." (I only want you to come home later, Mommy.) Because my work is based in Pampanga, I don't get to wake up and sleep with my kids every single day, who are staying in Tarlac with my parents.

 
Hearing that from a seven year old, I had mixed thoughts. 

 
First, I am even prouder of my daughter because she has very simple wants. She finds joy in things that do not come with a price tag. If simply being with her makes her happy, then I can make her happy often.

 
Second, my daughter misses me while I am at work. Honestly, everytime I come home from work and find them already asleep, or when the only time I have in the morning was when I drive her to school, or when my youngest daughter asks me to watch Disney Junior with her but I can't stay long becuse I have to leave for work, I FEEL GUILTY. I know that I am missing precious time with my kids that I cannot take back because right now, I still need to work for money.


And I still consider myself very blessed because I have my parents looking after my kids while my husband and I are at work. The struggle of my other working moms, like many of my workmates, is tougher because they have no choice but to leave their kids with the babysitters. My prayer is that they get to spend as much time as they want with their growing kids, too.

The Purpose of Investment is Simple



I want to stop working for money, and make money work for me 24/7.

Why? For so many reasons.

I want to focus and spend my time and energy on people that are most important to me -- my family. I do not want my daughter to think that she needs to qualify for a Math competition just so she could ask me to go home. I do not want spending time with them to be their priviledge, but rather, it should be my responsibility.

I want to retire from work, but not retire from life.

I want to pursue my passion and live my purpose.

The goal is not to have more money. The goal is living my life on MY OWN TERMS.

How Do I Accomplish This?


The answer is simple. Through start INVESTING TODAY, not tomorrow.

Small Investment Victory


Hospital Shares

Last year, my husband and I saw this opportunity to invest in a hospital here in Pampanga. He is still a resident MD with a fixed salary working in a government hospital. We bought a minimum of 1,000 shares at Php165/share. It was payable in six months at zero percent interest. We were paying Php27,500/month from July to December 2015. We sowed in times of famine. We lived within our means. While many were shopping during the holidays, we stick with our budget. 

By December 8, 2015, we completed our payment.

As we entered 2016 and everything else resumes to normal, I learned that our shares have gone up to Php250/share yielding a 51% profit in less than a month -- and the hospital has not even started its operation yet! That was an Php85,000 earning without my husband and I lifting a finger.


As of this writing, price has gone up to Php400/share. Just WOW.


Stock Market Shares

At the start of 2015, I had a clean slate. My investment portfolio in COL Financial was blank. If you will ask how come, well, long story. (Will explain in a different blog post). Then I started building my portfolio again, investing small amounts, buying huge companies, every single month. Faithfully doing this with the guidance of my mentors from the Truly Rich Club

12 months later, as the year ends, even when the market was on a downward trend, I closed my 2015 with a decent 6% interest for the year. It may not be as high as I expected it to be, but it is still way better than your savings account or time deposit rates. My money grew at a higher rate beating inflation, which is mainly the purpose of investing in the stock market -- that your money does not depreciate in value over time.


My BOLD Dream


I have big and bold dreams. In line with these, let me share with you my rule of thumb, among many others.

Dream BIG.
Start SMALL.
Act NOW.

Over time, I have developed this habit of dreaming big. I believe that we can achieve our goals, no matter how big, as long as we put our heart into it, put our feet at work towards it, and great faith in God that nothing is impossible with Him.

My goal is SIMPLE, but HUGE.

And that is TO RETIRE from a job WEALTHY AND WORTHY AT 40. I turned 34 this year.

Share your big dreams in the comments below or send me an email at financialplanningforpinoys@gmail.com. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Be very blessed!



P.S. If you find this post inspiring, please click the SHARE buttons below. Thanks very much!




Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were h...