Monday, September 7, 2015

Are You Interested or Committed?

http://www.actioncoach.com/siteFiles/photos/articles/Are_You_Committed_To_Succeeding.jpg

Arnold Glasow said, "Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire."

Are you on fire?

There are two kinds of people who are reading this blog post now:
Those who wish to be wealthy.
And those who are committed to be wealthy.

Which kind are you?

Through my journey to financial freedom, many people have asked me about investing.  Almost everyday, I answer inquiries about investments in the stock market. Before our conference at work last July, I have a few workmates who messaged me saying that they would want to talk to me about this. But during those five days, only one had the time to do so. And sadly, that one person has not started investing until now although two months have already passed.

They were plain interested.

On the other hand, there are those who are (drum roll please!) committed. Because they have realized the value of investing today for the fulfilment of their dreams tomorrow, they have made it their priority. Every time money comes in, they set aside an amount for investment then spend what is left. This is the strategy of the rich. Opposite to that of the poor wherein they save and invest what is left after spending. And obviously, nothing is left. They would wait for another payday, spend it the same way, and this cycle goes on.

Choose to be Committed


Last June, I met a doctor who was referred to me by my friend because he wants to start investing. Practicing his profession in San Fernando and Angeles City in Pampanga, this doctor is very busy. He starts work early and usually finishes late in the evening. One time, I received an unexpected call from him, asked me if I could accompany him to Betis while he looks for furniture because that is the only time he has. He said that I can explain how investing in the stock market works while on the road. That was the first time I met him.

Two days later, we met again and this time, he was already signing the policy application form for the VUL that I offered him -- a savings/investment/insurance product all rolled into one.

You may think that money was that easy for him to be able to decide that quickly. Truth is, his money was not yet available during our first meeting. But he has realized the advantage of investing NOW over investing LATER and so he allotted his professional fees for that.

Yesterday, I dropped by their house to pick up policy application forms, but this time for his 2 nephews and 1 niece. He understands that in investing, time is our greatest ally, and that when we start earlier, our money has more time to grow and work for us.

Sometimes, being busy is just an excuse. If we are committed to doing something, we can always make time for it.

Me and My Busy Life


Last September I was very busy and very productive -- and I thank God for it! After my product training last August with Insular Life and the Select Equities Fund being offered for a limited time only, I started blogging actively about investments again. I felt the urgency to teach people about investing because with Select Equities Fund, you can be a "part-owner" of the Top 10 companies in the stock market at a price of less than Php1.00 per unit. I do not want people to miss such a great product.

During those days, I would find myself typing on my laptop, writing a new blog post or updating an old one, either past midnight after work or early morning before going to work. And my blog was serving its purpose. It was doing the "selling" for me. I get inquiries about investments and SEF almost every single day from my Facebook friends. In between work, while waiting for MDs, I was busy preparing investment proposals. After work on Friday nights, or before going home from The Feast in PICC, I would meet with these friends to discuss about SEF. For those who I cannot personally talk to, I mailed them the proposals and made the sticky notes do the explaining for me. As they say, if there's a will, there's a way.




And yes, all of these effort paid off because in one month, I had ten COMMITTED friends who began their investing journey, ten friends whom I have helped realize the value of investment and preparing for the retirement as early as today. I cannot be happier.

Why?

Because as I was helping them fulfill their dreams, I was achieving my dreams as well -- which is working with purpose and meaning. Things cannot get any better than that!

Go Against The Culture


Say it out loud: "I am committed to be wealthy!"
Is there a teeny weenie feeling of guilt? This is because you are going against a grain in our culture. That grain which values docility, submission and passiveness.

The norm says that all houses are assets, put your hard-earned money in banks, you will lose all your money in the stock market, and that you are too young to plan for your retirement.

I remember a quote from one of my favourite books Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. It says, "You have to be strong enough to say that if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it. Create your own. Most people can't do it."

The truth is, Every successful people is aggressive when it comes to their dreams.

Do not dilly-dally. Your life is happening in front of you right now. Do you want to be successful? Then be aggressive towards your dreams.





Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...