Friday, August 30, 2013

My Inspiring Success Story


Yesterday, I read a Facebook post from my favorite magazine asking for inspiring stories that they could feature in their coming issue. I immediately brought out my laptop and began writing MY inspiring story. I have emailed them my entry, and now I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping that I will be chosen. But just in case I don't, I thought of sharing my entry with you.




FROM BROKE TO FINANCIALLY FREE



I am Joan Veronica Trojillo, 31 years old, married and mother of two kids. Let me share you my story.


I was a graduate of Tarlac State University. Because I was the youngest and the only girl, my parents did not allow me to study outside our province. Because of this, I felt like I had limited opportunities compared to those who graduated from known universities. But this eventually was not a hindrance at all because I was able to work immediately after graduating. My first job was as a bank teller and then after a year, I made a career shift and worked as a medical representative. That is what I have been doing for the past nine years. I am blessed to be working for a great company. I enjoyed the benefits as an employee, the perks of being a field man which includes a company car with free gas, sales incentives, and bonus up to 17.5 months.


But inspite of all these financial blessings, I would always find myself stressed everytime the bills would arrive in the mail – utility bills, credit card payments, loans, and other household expenses – and I do not know where to get the money to pay for all these. I had zero savings, no investments either and I was practically down with debt. I had a negative net worth. If you would ask where I spent all my money, fellow Cosmo girls would know the answer, and that is SHOPPING! Since my job does not include a time in and a time out, I spend dead hours at the mall almost everyday, window shopping at first and then actually shopping for things I do not really need. I used to have more than enough pairs of shoes, tons of bags, a different colored watch for every outfit, plus the latest gadgets. They were more than enough that people would ask me why I still keep buying. As the old cliché goes, shopping then was therapy for me. It de-stresses me.


Then the unavoidable happened. I had no money to pay for bills which are necessities, and I had no one to borrow money from. I ended up selling my things on Ebay, Facebook groups and I even held a garage sale at home. Handing my precious bags, shoes, watches and gadgets to their new owners was painful. Not only because I was losing them, but because I was losing them at a way cheaper price. Eventually, I learned to detach myself from these material things and I realized that they were not really investments, even if the advertisements say so. With these, I was able to pay the bills and then had my credit cards cut. Up to this writing, I still do not own any credit card, and that is by choice.


After ten years of being employed, with my monthly earning just coming and going, my financial breakthrough started to occur last March 2013. I attended a financial seminar for the first time by the Truly Rich Club. Through this, I became aware of the many other sources of income, the ways of investing, telling your money where to go instead of asking them where they went (my favourite quote), and that the main purpose of wealth was to help others.


I applied everything I learned from that seminar. Everytime money would come in, like my salary, incentives, allowances and bonuses, I would divide them into five envelopes – 10% worship (tithe), 20% wealth (investments), 10% want (shopping!), 10% wellness (long term goals) and 50% wallet (expenses). With this strategy, I never felt deprived nor broke. And yes, living way below your means is possible. Proof? I survived!


Through that seminar, I also learned about the beauty of online marketing. I enrolled in an online course, which costs five digits by the way (I never thought I could afford that in the past), and I came to realize and develop my passion for writing. I have started building my blog on personal finance management. My blog is Financial Planning for Pinoys. I feel blessed because I am able to inspire my readers through their positive feedbacks thanking me how these practical tips have helped them. I dream of writing my own book by this year. With that, I also enrolled in another online course which teaches me how to write a book and publishing it on Kindle Amazon. The goal is to help solve financial issues of fellow employees, and also to earn income through royalties.


I have also learned how to invest in stocks. The stock market is now my big piggy bank, preparing for my early retirement. My goal is to stop working before I reach 40. I have also opened accounts for my two kids. Since time is our greatest ally in building wealth, I know they will become millionaires by the time they reach college.


I have also signed up for membership sites and I earn commission through affiliate marketing. This is another source of passive income for me.


Because I love to travel and still love to shop, I have opened an online store selling clothes which I have personally bought from other places. Not only was I providing quality clothing at a very affordable price to customers, I was also helping other people earn as my resellers. We made a great sale last December during the holidays. At the end of 2014, I am aiming to become a wholesaler.


God opened another door of opportunity for me through another business. And most recently, He brought me the right people as my team. We are now in the process of setting everything up and we will be opening this January. What a way to start the year!
 

From being broke, I now have a positive net worth and I am very happy about it. All these in a span of only six months! I now have savings and growing investments, and I never feel stressed because of being broke anymore. I am even able to support ministries and sponsor children. Plus the increasing number of people that I am being able to help through my blog and my business. Truly, I am very blessed!


Yes, you can turn your finances around. If I was able to do it, so can anyone else. You just need to have a dream of how you want to see yourself in the future and set a deadline for it, the discipline to tell your money where to go, and the determination to act on that dream. Recognize every opportunity and have the courage to take that chance. You are more than the brand of your shoes and bags. If you would want to splurge, choose self-growth. I attend seminars almost every month because there is always something new to learn. I encourage that you do, too.


My prayer is that you reach your goals in life. And when you have succeeded and achieved financial freedom, remember to use wealth to love others.

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...