Monday, June 3, 2013

Find A Strong Emotional Why






Today, over lunch, my workmates and I were discussing about the changes that are bound to happen within our division in the coming semester, which will be announced (read: Surprise!) during our midyear conference in a couple of weeks. These changes have been happening so very often that the saying "change is the only constant thing" can be taken literally!


Working in a pharmaceutical company, these changes may mean a new territory to manage, new products to promote, new set of doctors to target, new supervisor and district mates, and probably even a new quota in the middle of the year. This would mean that the results of hard work that you did or did not do during the first semester may be beneficial or harmful to the person who will be taking your place, respectively. As one of my Bosses would say, "This is a vicious cycle."


Recently, I have started reading the book Retire Young, Retire Rich by Robert Kiyosaki of the Rich Dad Poor Dad fame. It made me realize that I need to plan my retirement now, and not when I am sixty-five. I need a better plan since I do not want to spend my life working hard just to pay the bills. And this plan is not just a back-up plan. It is a plan that I must execute so that when an announcement of an unfavorable change in the company is bound to happen, I can just pack my things and file my resignation.


To be able to do this, I need a strong why I am planning my retirement now. I believe that the how would be easy as long as my why would be strong enough to keep me going when the road gets tough in reaching my goal. 


When willpower is not enough, the WHYPOWER will do it. Here is my list:

  • I was tired of being broke and always struggling for money. Although I am well-compensated and with various perks, the money would just come and simply go. I have been working for years, but zero investments and zero savings at most times. It even came to a point when I needed to sell some of my things (which I used to think were investments, or so they say, like bags and watches) just so I can pay the bills. Investments increase in value. And if you want to invest in bags, buy a Birkin!

  • Though I am already married with kids, I still live with my parents. They take care of our kids in Tarlac, while my husband and I are working here in Pampanga. I want to be a full time mom, wake up and sleep with my kids every single day. And I want to my aging parents to live a comfortable life, free of worry.

  • My husband is currently a second year surgery resident on training at a regional government hospital. He works from 7am to 9pm on average days, and stays in the hospital for at least 24 hours every 3 days. If I was not working, I would have more time to take care of him, too, while he is on training.

  • God made us for a purpose. Purpose is where our potential and our passion meet. My passion is writing and talking to people about money. My potential is also in the financial services. I would want to believe that empowering more Filipinos financially is my purpose, and one way of me living out my purpose is through this blog. And when we live out our purpose, we become a blessing to others, and it is also through this that God blesses us. And when God blesses us financially, He is using us as a channel to bless others. With God's grace, may this purpose become my profession.


Here are my whys. I would want to believe that financial freedom is real and achievable. And I will be sharing my journey in this blog.


What is your emotional why? Share it in the comments below, or you can email me at financialplanningforpinoys@gmail.com. 


Be very blessed!


P.S. I hope you find this post helpful. Thank you in advance for sharing it by clicking the buttons below.


Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...