Saturday, February 12, 2022

How To Live Rich For Less (Part 2)





In the previous article, I have shared a few tips to save money so we can invest more for our future. I believe that through the years of our existence on earth, millions of pesos have already passed through our hands. And I'm sure millions will pass through your hands in the years to come. The problem is just that we spend it all.

Below are few more strategies for saving money on entertainment.

1. If you enjoy movies


My husband is a movie buff but he would never invite me to watch a movie at cinemas even during pre-pandemic. He says its expensive. 

If you are my age, more or less, and have experienced renting at Video City and buying DVDs, that is what we often do. We have saved so much by doing that!

And with the availability of streaming platforms today, a month of subscription only costs one movie ticket! 

2. If you enjoy restaurants


Instead of dining at a full-price restaurant, hunt for a discount through a social coupon services. Even FoodPanda and Grab offer discount vouchers. But these limit your restaurant choices. How can you save if you want to dine at a specific place?

Going for Happy Hour is one option. Many restaurants offer great deals on specific menu items at off-peak times of the day. Call the restaurant you want to go to, and ask if they have either a Happy Hour or a Monday night or Ladies Night Special.

Another option is to go out for “inner” – that’s dinner without the “d” (without drinks and dessert). If the drinks and dessert are the part you love the most, then JUST order drinks and dessert and skip the dinner itself.

3. If you enjoy shopping


If you are like most people who love shopping for the sake of shopping – for its entertainment value – why not go without your wallet? Sounds crazy, I know. Or bring a certain amount with you, within your budget, so you don't overspend. Window-shop, admire handbags and shoes, gaze at jewelry, exclaim over this season’s new line of clothing.

Lately, I window shop at Shopee, just for the fun of it. Keep them in my cart, but I only checkout things I really need. And for the past two months, 1.1 and 2.2 already passed, but I have not made any purchase.


Just be cautious with window shopping because you might have the tendency to desire things that are beyond your budget.

One Thing I Do Not Scrimp


There is one area where I spend a lot. And that is personality development.


I buy books and attend seminars. The birth of this blog is from a five-digit online marketing course I enrolled to. As Warren Buffett said, "The more you learn, the more you earn." And the money I have invested in learning has already came back a hundred folds. 


By investing in personal development, we increase our value. So, the more value we have, the more we attract "symbols of value" (money) in our lives.


And the more money we have, the more we can bless others with.


How have you increased your value? Share it in the comments below!

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...