Sunday, June 23, 2013

Choose Real Games






I see and hear people say that they are addicted to games. I've stopped playing months ago. 

I work as a medical representative and most of our time is spent waiting -- waiting for the doctor to arrive, waiting for the doctor to finish treating his patients, waiting for the secretary's go signal and say "coverage." During these waiting time, that normally takes hours, I have seen fellow medreps passing time through playing games on their phones and tablets. Biotix and Candy Crush, to name a few. Even I play those games (Frozen Free Fall was my favorite) while sitting and waiting, or while standing in line during coverage.

But there was a problem. It was addicting. I would find myself playing Frozen Free Fall even while I am not waiting. I would play as soon as I wake up, spending 30 minutes at least, and checking if my friends had given me extra lives. Worse, I would play while having lunch or dinner with my husband (which happens on rare occasions because of busy schedule). I would even play when I get home from work, alternating "lives" with my two kids.

Here is what I realized.

Writing a blog and finishing an episode at Frozen Free Fall are two similar activities, they both give me joy. But writing a blog gives me long-term joy, especially when my friends compliment me for my posts and they tell me that they have applied what they read in my blog. Yesterday, my workmate texted me saying that she has read about the 10/20/70 Abundance Formula which I was telling her about in one of my posts. She says she will apply this budgeting scheme. Also, last night, one of my doctors commended me for my posts.

Finishing an episode at Frozen Free Fall is short-lived joy. When I have completed the tasks, it's game over. 


Play Real Games

Here is what my mentor suggests: Give up playing computer and video games everyday. It will force you to find real games to play.

What is your passion?
That is your game.

Writing is one of my passion. When I was younger, I would find myself writing my experience and telling stories in my diary. I have enrolled in an online mentoring course. It taught me how to write better through blogs. Aside from financial planning, I have also been blogging about my other passion -- charity work through volunteerism and child sponsorship, and I am serving as a writer in our spiritual community called The Feast.

Through my blog, I have taught workmates and doctor friends to invest in the stock market both directly and indirectly. Some of them are now child sponsors and volunteers of World Vision. 

Building close relationship with my kids is another passion. It is a game to me. A very serious, but a simple game. When I spend time with them, I score points. When I drive them to school, I score. When I bring home a simple pasalubong, I score. When I tell them how much I love them, I score big.


While on the Waiting Game


Because I have learned to give up playing games while waiting, I had time to do something else -- actually, many other things.

While waiting, I am able to read a few chapters of a new book, update an old blog post (like this one), write a new post based on a recent learning or experience, check my stocks pottfolio and see what companies can I buy on the next payday, or schedule an agricultural tour. I am organizing one on May 28 at Stevia Farm in Bulacan. Details to follow at a different post. (Shameless plug lolz!)

And yes, just like mostly everyone, you'll catch me chattin on Facebook during idle time. Today, my fellow agri-investors and I discussed about our upcoming meeting over group chat, I exchanged messages with a workmate about our financial dreams and how we will achieve them, to name a few. 


It's All About Priorities


Let me share something I read on Instagram:
 
"Not having enough time is a myth. It's what you choose to do with it."

We all have the same 24 hours each day. The difference is how these 24 hours are spent.

Look for real games to play and make every moment count. Be very blessed!

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were her ...