Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Avoid the Free Lunch Attitude

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44373968@N00/187874887


I work as a medical representative in a leading pharmaceutical company in the country. Compared to othes medreps from small companies, I get a lot of perks. I get to drive a brandnew company car every five years, with free gas and maintenance. I can even reimburse my parking fees and toll fees. I get to travel during our conferences or as an accompanying medrep to our MDs, all expenses paid and staying at a classy hotel. If leaving the country for an incentive trip, I even get a pocket money during the whole duration of the trip. If my MD wants to have lunch or spa, I do it with them and mine is free, charged to the company.

In less than two weeks from today, we will be receiving our incentives payback and profit sharing. Personally, these are the bonuses I look forward to the most every single year as an employee. 

And these, among many others, are the perks that I will most definitely miss when I have finally decided to become unemployed.

A co-employee once told me that if I keep depending on all these perks, I will never be able to quit my job. And the truth is, these are mainly my reason for staying.

Some would say these are benefits. I would say these are my free lunch at work, just to name a few. If I keep depending merely on these freebies, it stops me from growing financially.

If I do not grow financially, I would not have money to enjoy traveling with my family, or treat them to a classy hotel stay, or even enjoy spa sessions with my mom GUILTLESSLY.

If I do not grow financially, I would not have money to invest in the stock market or money to expand my business.

 

Graduate from Free Lunch


My first company car dued last 2012. I had the option of buying it for Php113,000, around 20% of its actual value. I have been working for five years that time, I had practically zero savings, and I even needed to borrow money from my mother-in-law to be able to get that car. I sold it for Php250,000, paid off my debts, went shopping, and left with nothing.

This was how badly I used to handle money. I had this thinking that I could always depend on free lunch -- that every 10th and 25th of the month, with bonuses and incentives in between, I would have money to spend again, anyways.

A few months after that, I became a member of the Truly Rich Club and I have learned to increase my financial IQ. Today, I have money readily available when my current car will due next year. I also have growing investments on the side, all for the aim of financial freedom. I became wiser. I became more financially literate. My mentor taught me that the first and most important skill you'll ever need in becoming successful is to take personal responsibility.

Now, I have learned to live below my means. When money comes in, I choose to buy assets instead of liabilities. I can clearly distinguish the difference now between the two. I invest in God's work, I invest for the future through my growing stock market portfolio, and I have started investing for my very young kids, too. I have learned to recognize opportunities to earn more so that I can help and serve more. Inspite of these, I never feel deprived because I also allot a certain percentage of my income for my wants. These are simple wants because I have also realized that I am worth more than the brand of the bags I use or the clothes I wear. With this, I consistently increase my value through investing in self-growth and learnings, by attending seminars and reading books.

Free lunches are crutches. They’re there to help you while your legs heal. But once they’re healed, you need to throw away the crutches. If you don’t throw away the crutches, your legs will never be fully healed. In the same way, if you don’t avoid free lunches, you’ll never grow in your capacity to earn.


P.S.
A year ago, I joined the Truly Rich Club by Bo Sanchez. From someone whose every salary and bonus went to paying the bills and buying unnecessary stuff, I have learned to grow my financials and I am now investing in the stock market every month with guidance from its mentors. I am inviting you to join the club, too.

Featured Posts

Not All VULs Are Created Equal

"Ate," my husband's insurance agent said, "magkaiba naman ang company namin sa ibang insurance." Those were h...